Saturday, January 14, 2006

Tater Soup

But I've always called em Stewed Taters.. You take a 6 or 8 quart pan and fill 2/3rds full of water, add a stick of butter, a chopped onion, a chunk of smoked bacon, a few stalks of chopped celery, a bunch of salt and pepper, and when that boils a while, you add about 3 pounds of chunked-up taters and after that slowly boils for about an hour, you add about a half-pound of your favorite chesse and turn it off and stir it often till the cheese melts good.. That and a few slices of garlic toast will make you wanna take a little nap.. You can take a nap while your tea steeps a while, cause you are gonna need plenty of tea after you wake up..
My Daddy used to buy the steaks and I would fix the taters and we would have steak and taters out somewhere with the steaks cooked over an open fire.. A nice, cool evening was the best time to have em too.. During the process we would usually consume a fifth of Sour Mash too..
The best wood I have ever used to cook those steaks, was Huckleberry.. The closest I can come to describin it, is mesquite.. But even mesquite is a far distant second to huckleberry..
I fixed stewed taters and garlic toast for our supper tonite, so while the tea sets a while, I better go get that nap.. See ya'll after while .. YAAAWN.. Scuse me !!

2 Comments:

Blogger citizen_us said...

cookin' memories are powerful things.
man, sounds great, WB.
nothing better than good eats.

makes me remember my step-moms chicken stew.
the wife cooks just like my mom, had to try out 3 others first. damn, wish i had figgured that out sooner!

8:21 PM, January 15, 2006  
Blogger citizen_us said...

Hey WB. Hope things are going smooth and buttery!

6:35 PM, January 20, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home