Friday, October 21, 2005

Old Folks

I can remember all my life helping the old folks around me.. Most lived on small SSI checks and had no savings, so their money was real tight.. Of course, they were all too eager to get me a piece of pie or share some candy they had, for my troubles.. I dont think kids do that much anymore, and it makes me wonder how the old folks get by today.. It costs a pretty penny for them to pay for the work I used to do.. To get a lawn mowed or a fence painted today, you have to hire somebody to do it.. Most of em dont come cheap either.. Leads me to believe that kids today dont get the education or pride from civic duty that kids did back in my time.. They still volunteer, but for projects that might get their picture in the news paper or some award from the Mayor.. They dont get to feel that pressure of pride in their chest that I got when I finished cleaning and planting a new flowerbed for some little old lady, and saw that beaming SMILE she had and hear the OOOHs and AHHHHs from her when she saw it.. PRICELESS !!
But, where do the old folks get the money from today to get all their stuff done ?? What do they do without to be able to afford paying to have their yardwork done ?? Their car repairs ?? The new steps for their porch ??
If you know a young person, be sure to tell them for me, that when they get older that they too can have memories like mine of helping an old person, and that I wouldnt take any amount of money for those memories.. And to all you assholes that say "fuggem", I say that you can kiss my one-legged redneck ass !!

1 Comments:

Blogger Rob_NC said...

..Amen WB..its all about the dollar..

5:19 PM, October 29, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home