Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Harvest Time

Time to start thinkin bout the fruits comin to the roadsides now.. Gonna be time to pull out some of Mama's old recipes and make the neighbors jealous.. The fruity smell comin from a kitchen with a big pot of steaming pears or blackberries is enuff to make people crazy.. If you start a big loaf of homemade bread or rolls baking too, well, your just asking for company !!
I remember as a kid, while Mama was cooking and stirring the preserves or jelly on the stove, I would sit and rock a gallon jar of clabber milk on my lap to make buttermilk and butter, and have a long talk with her.. Mama had some good stories to tell too.. I never got to meet Elvis, Ray Price, Bob Wills, LBJ, Wahoo McDaniels, or Jack Ruby, but Mama did, and I got to hear about em from her.. Mama aint one to glaze-over stuff either.. She would give lots of details with her stories.. I sure do miss those stories.. I think she misses tellin em too..

2 Comments:

Blogger Redneck Texan said...

Looks like your getting some much needed rain.

9:15 PM, August 27, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Am Remembering my grandmother skimming the fresh milk and cooking it with flap jacks and grits one fine mourning on her firestove. God I miss that farm. Barely remember grandad 'Papa' as he was always working. Do remember a certain nemisis roster that loved to attack me until I got permission to prep him for the main course. You're a lucky man.

1:21 AM, August 28, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home