Sunday, March 18, 2007

Honey, I'm Home

Tired, sore, and grungy, but Miss Minnie Pearl aint the only one that had a good time.. I had a damn good time too..

I found some pork chop from a wild pig and some deer meat a friend gave me a while back, so I didnt have to kill nothin to eat while I was out there this weekend.. I just put it all in a big dutch oven and cooked it slow with it covered in gravy.. All you had to do was take a piece of bread and use a fork to try to get enough to hold together to be picked out of the pot to make a sandwich with..

I got some work done on the garden too.. I managed to find time to get 2 long rows tilled up and ready to make beds for my taters.. The rows for them have to be wider and deeper so it takes a lot more work to get them ready.. Now all I have to do is get the mulch mixed in and them I'll be ready to plant a shit-load of taters..

The trailer(The Stabbin Cabin) is under 4 big oak trees and so there was plenty of leaf rakin and pickin up limbs to be done and I got some of it done too..

Between the rakin leaves and puttin shells thru my big bore, my shoulders and arms need some major rest and re-coup now.. Needless to say that I'm exhausted now, but wanted to get a post up before I hit the shower, cause as soon as I get out of there I'll be in the bed and it wont be long till lites-out I'm sure..

I've got plenty of stories bout the deer and hogs and even some Canada Geese dropped in, but those will have to wait till I rest up a bit..

Hope ya'll had a good weekend too..

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahhhh. The garden, cooking, planting, playing with the dog, raking leaves, shooting....Sounds like you got the corner on the good life.....seems all I do is work-sleep-work-sleep. Start over and do it again.

Not really complaining, love my work. Just to say you got it all my friend and I'm glad you know it!

tired and sore tho....comes with the territory....and age. oops, did I say tht?

8:16 AM, March 20, 2007  
Blogger Wild Bill said...

That havin fun sure is hard work tho, MamaBear.. Some folks go out and just sit on their ass, I dont..

After havin the place leased for about 10 years and not doin much out there, it has all piled up and I caint sit and look at it, I gotta do somethin about it..

The damn "phantom pain" in my stump was to the severe level this mornin, so I had to take somethin for it and am not able to go out and do what I needed to today.. Just gonna have to settle for bein really "loose" today and tryin to get rested up for a trip to the Doc in Dallas tomoro for the Kid to have a test done..

I got some new filters for my water purifier last weekend and am gonna start a new batch of homebrew this afternoon and I just Cajun injected a whole fryer to put in the rotissiere too..

One of the side effects of my Phantom Pain meds is that I get a HUGE appetite !! My tummy is growlin just thankin bout that chicken I'm gonna pig out on in a little while.. I bet a pan of fresh yeast rolls would go good with it.. I aint tried the new oven yet either.. Sounds like a plan..

And, Mamabear.. I dont have AGE, I have EXPERIENCE !! snicker snicker

1:24 PM, March 20, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

WB, you are an inspiration!! Sorry about the pain you're in, though. Nice side effect to the medication, however. Yeast rolls?? Damn, guy, you need to move to Northern California!!

Good luck with the testing.

2:41 PM, March 20, 2007  
Blogger Papa Ray said...

Jeez WB, Sounds like your having all the fun. Your day made me remember back growing up helping my Mama with her garden. She could make anything grow even in a rock garden.

I remembe how the hoe and rake and my hands got to know each other very well and how my Mama had to keep checking the holes I dug, cause I either had them too shallow or too deep. She finally cut a stick and said "use this for a ruler." She only had to do that of course my first year of helping.

But heck, a six year old can't do everything right the first time.

She would do the cutting of the seed potatoes, as it is an art rather than a science. She would sprout them in trays she made (or I made later) out of scrap lumber. She knew just were to set the trays where they didn't get too much sun.

She didn't trust me to put the seedlings till I was much older, but she did let me cover them up.

Course I got to do the weeding and hilling and spreading of manure, because she told me that would make me strong.

We didn't have much in the way of insect control, we couldn't afford it, so Mama mixed up a strange concoction of soap and herbs, and I got to sprinke each plant by hand.
I remember I used to put a couple of sprinklers in my little red wagon and off I would go.

I had a wonderful Mama and we spent hours together taking care of our animals and our garden and talking as only a son and mother can do.

I miss her.

Keep after it, and you will have your place strack in no time. Hard work never killed anybody, or so I have always been told.

Papa Ray

4:30 PM, March 20, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shoot. Read a very interesting article somewhere just recently about phantom limb pain and new treatments. It was a fascinating read about the body's energy system. If I find it again I will share it with you.

8:39 PM, March 20, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home