Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Mother Nature's Palate

I spent most the day yesterday cookin ribs and workin in the yard.. Them damn ribs are addictive !! I stuffed myself last nite with ribs and a tub of cole slaw, and started in on em again today.. The Mrs. finally pried me away from em and shoved me in the car and took me for a ride down some country roads today, before I hurt myself on them damn ribs..

The trees are beautiful here now and the colors are unreal.. The hunters are already in the camps waitin for Saturday when gun season opens on the deer and the smell of hickory smoke and campfire cookin was in the air..

I saw one big buck in a lane that ran from the road.. Sure was a pretty one with a nice rack.. We usually see a bunch but now there are so many people runnin around in the woods and 4 wheelers everywhere, they are down in the thick brush and on the creeks and bayous..

We got home and the Mrs. called my old military buddy that lives up behind me, and he admitted that he aint been doin too good this week.. He didnt even feel good enuff to go to the store and get somethin to eat for supper, so I fixed him a big bowl of pinto beans w/onion and bacon, plus I stirred up a skillet of cornbread and the Mrs. took it to him for supper.. Aint nothin that man likes better than beans and cornbread !! I figgered if he would eat anythang, that would be it.. If he aint better tomoro, the Mrs. will go to the store for him and get him some stuff to tide him over till he does..

He dont like anythang cooked with smoke in it and a lot of the stuff I cook has smoked meat in it.. I smoke my pork roast to cook cabbage or beans, and I smoke my pork chops before I bake em in rice, and I smoke my steak before I cut it up to make stew, so it dont leave a lot of stuff that I cook to take him some too.. The Mrs. wont hardly eat leftovers, so most times I just cook enuff for one meal, and a few bites to nibble on before bed.. When I do cook somethin he can eat, I fix him a meal out of it too..

His wife died the first part of the year and he has been goin downhill since then.. He just aint eatin right !! He has a daughter and a sister here close but the sister is in about as bad of health as he is, and his daughter and her husband just dont seem to have the time to see about him.. But he is an independent old fart and wont let just anybody help him.. These old widows around here are after him all the time to go out with em, and callin him, and I thank he is afraid that if they knew he wasnt feelin good that they would invite theirselves in to take care of him..

It just seems that he dont want to help himself, and I dont know what to do to help him.. Guess I'll just have to wait and see what happens.. Maybe if he feels better soon, I can get him to go out and ride a country road with me before all the leaves fall.. We have a good time on our rides together..

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are such a good man Wild Bill. I hope yer friend appreciates you.

12:09 PM, November 01, 2006  
Blogger Wild Bill said...

Billy is a special case, MamaBear.. He was real nice and helpful to my Mama, and was friendly with my mean and obnoxious Daddy too..

Everythang I can do to help Billy has already been paid for in Spades.. But it just pisses me of for him to let himself go like he has and not care to keep his health up better..

I just dont want him to start actin like a liberal and expect somebody else to do for him what he can do for himself.. I've at least gotta keep him alive till election day when he can vote for the (R)'s !! snicker snicke I'm so bad !!

3:22 PM, November 01, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home