Monday, August 20, 2007

A New Military Parent

I got a phone call from my daughter out in Phoenix bout 10 PM last night.. I thought, "OH SHIT" !! She knows to call me late when she has somethin to tell me that she dont wanna get a big fuss about.. She knows I'll have a full belly(either food or coldbeer) and will be unwillin to get all excited bout somethin before bedtime..

A lot of you may remember that back several months ago my daughter, Angela, signed up with the U.S. Navy as a Diver and was to leave on my birthday, September 25th.. She called last nite to tell me that she had gotten anxious and had requested a quicker date to begin Boot Camp and that she had got it and was leavin at daylight this mornin for Chicago..

I thank she was slow bout callin because of the fact I had some reservations bout her joinin back when she told me she had looked into it but didnt have anythang chiseled in stone yet.. But we talked a while and finally I told her that the job(Marines) she was wantin to go in for left me with a bunch of doubts about, whatever the job was, but if that is what she wanted to do I would support her in it..

She went and tested and was offered a bunch of different jobs and I thank she had listened to old Pop and did a little more research on the job she was thankin bout and had changed her mind and chose to go for the Navy as a Diver.. She LOVES water and swimmin and is stout as a linebacker and I thank she will EVENTUALLY like bein a Navy Diver..

Altho I have my doubts bout what Angela's motives behind this are, I'm still sure the desired outcome is the same point of destination: bein on her own and gettin away from her mama, and financial and benefit security.. But at no time has she expressed any feelins of Patriotism(to my dismay) about it, but I thank thats because of peer pressure and the fact that her mama is a stone-cold liberal..

But, she does have some physical limitations from some wrecks she has had.. She wiped-out 2 cars and a donorcycle(motorcycle) and has back problems and a wrist that aint at full potential.. Therapy and excercise has gotten most of it under control but she is still gonna be put to the test and may get washed-out and put into some shitty job that she aint gonna like, or given a Medical Discharge.. And THIS is what we had most of our talks of it over.. If this does happen, it aint gonna be a big surprise to her tho..

She is smart and seems very determined about what she is doin, so, if the Navy builds some confidence in her they will have a definite assett to their mission..

So ya'll join me in givin her a proud send-off and wish her well in her endeavor a New Navy Recruit..

Then watch this:

http://www.whc.net/rjones/USN/USN_team.html

5 Comments:

Blogger nanc said...

GO WITH GOD, WILD DAUGHTER!

*:]

5:30 PM, August 20, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck to your daughter, WB. I admire her determination to get on with her life and to go for the job she truly wants. Luckily, she has you and is now prepared to accept possibly not getting the diving "job".

You have every right to be proud of your kid!!!! I am!

10:23 PM, August 20, 2007  
Blogger Papa Ray said...

We all hope things turn out ok, or at least in some way she can live with.

The Navy is downsizing in it's upper ranks and changing the mission of a lot of it's swabbies to help more with the grunt's missions. So no telling what may come down the pike.

If she has back problems I doubt she will be able to be a diver, they have serious physical requirements and their training that I have read about was difficult to say the least.

My Grandson is about finished with his basic at the Great Lakes Naval Training Center.

I assume that is where your daughter will start her journey, as the Navy only has one basic training center.

Anyway, he has no idea where he will wind up next, but he has given them his preferences.

He said basic was easy, but he is a country boy and used to hard work and hard play.

I sounds like your daughter won't have any problems there either.

Take care.

Papa Ray

9:34 PM, August 21, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great choice for a skill! Diving in the military is very rewarding. Not to mention the money you can make once you leave the service and get a job diving in the civilian sector. Underwater welders start at around $100 an hour. Tell her thank you for serving my country. Be proud.

11:56 PM, August 21, 2007  
Blogger nanc said...

forgot to tell you - one of my nephews is a sniper in the marine reserves - BOOOOYAH!

10:40 AM, August 22, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home