Thursday, August 30, 2007

Harvest Time

I've talked a lot about food here and now I seem to be gettin a LOT of recipe and food searches that lead folks here..

But its harvest time and time for the County Fairs to kick off and people are gettin in the mood to do some cookin and join in the festivities that are takin place everywhere and the weather is coolin off some, in places, and that tends to increase the appetite too..

I'm also spendin more time outside and at the farm myself and dont have time to keep a close eye on all the news, and most of it seems to be BULLSHIT anyway, so, I plan to do a little recipe postin and talk a little more bout my favorite bad habit.. FOOD !!

I plan on postin recipes and talkin bout food that most of us can, and do, cook.. And I know that several of you that visit here have weekend getaways and gatherins in your back yards too, just like I do.. So I plan to have some stuff that you can fix ahead of time and pack in a cooler and take with you so you can enjoy your time relaxin or doin what you usually do when you get to that "slice of heaven" instead of cookin and washin and cleanin..

I'm a firm believer in aluminum foil in my cookin !! Specially when at the farm or deer camp.. I wrap enuff stuff in each pouch for 1 person to make a meal on and freeze it(saves on ice in the cooler) and then by Day-3 I dont even need to thaw it to be ready to cook it..

I dont know bout ya'll, but I have the damndest time with people just showin up at meal time and wantin somethin to eat.. Sure is nice to just reach in the cooler and take out more of those foil pouches and puttin em on the fire with the rest of em..

Life dont have to be complicated.. Sometimes we just make it that way..

The writin on the wall tells me that our GOOD DAYS may be numbered, so why dont we try and enjoy em while they last.. And the best way I know to have a good time starts with somethin good to eat..

4 Comments:

Blogger Wild Bill said...

Gluttony is not a secret vice. -- Orson Welles

A dutch oven in long-term storage is bad for the soul. -- Blaine Nay

A gourmet who thinks of calories is like a tart who looks at her watch. -- James Beard

If we're not supposed to eat animals, why are they made of meat? -- Unknown

I just hate health food. -- Julia Child

In Mexico we have a word for sushi: bait. -- Jose Simon

I will not eat oysters. I want my food dead - not sick, not wounded - dead. -- Woody Allen

Never eat more than you can lift. -- Miss Piggy

Never trust a skinny cook. -- Author Unknown

Oh, the tiger will love you. There is no sincerer love than the love of food. -- George Bernard Shaw

Put a pot of chili on the stove to simmer. Let it simmer. Meanwhile, broil a good steak. Eat the steak. Let the chili simmer. Ignore it. -- Allan Shivers

There is no sincerer love than the love of food. -- George Bernard Shaw

The second day of a diet is always easier than the first. By the second day you're off it. -- Jackie Gleason

To safeguard one's health at the cost of too strict a diet is a tiresome illness, indeed. -- La Rochefoucauld

We are indeed much more than what we eat, but what we eat can nevertheless help us to be much more than what we are. -- Adelle Davis

8:19 PM, August 30, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your last sentence gives me pause. Not sure if it's because of the message conveyed therein or because I could go off this ever lovin diet I'm on. Like the quotes, particularly Jackie Gleason's!

7:57 AM, August 31, 2007  
Blogger Papa Ray said...

Good Stuff WB, which reminds me of a quote from my Mama.

"Son, if you don't set still and quit trying to eat everything but the tablecloth, I'm not giving you any pie!"

I was a hungry child, in more ways than one, and when I was in the Army, I thought that they were trying to starve me to death.

Keep the recipes coming WB, I might contribute along the way, myself.

Papa Ray

9:25 PM, August 31, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmm My comments are not workin? Ohh well, now I'm hungry, time to fire up the grill!

7:44 AM, September 01, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home