Sunday, August 26, 2007

For The Last Time

I hope this will be the last post bout the peecan tree.. It aint a peecan tree no more !! Its now officially a fuggin LOG..

It burnt off at the ground and I pushed it over yesterday and I've got it burnin at both ends and there is a chunk bout 5 feet long and 3 feet around now thats left..

I know ya'll are tired of hearin bout the damn thang and I'm tired of the thang out there burnin for the last 2 months(almost).. I've been burnin on that thang since June 5th when the top fell out of it and have had a fire goin on it since then, minus just a few days.. I just wonder how many call the fire dept. has gotten bout somebody smellin smoke ??

Me and the Mrs. and the Kid took a ride on some backroads today.. Looks like the hunters are startin to move in and set up their camps.. I've been seein a lot go by on the street lately.. Must have been a good year for em cause the Class of campers and trailers has improved.. Not as many blue tarps this year.. I've seen a little bit better Class of 4 wheeler this year too..

With the rain we had this year the deer should be grass fat and not grain-fed like the past few years.. The cattlemen havent had to feed bought feed like the drought years.. The deer do a lot of feedin from the cattle feeders too.. But grass-fat is good for me too..

I'm seriously thankin bout bustin up a spot to put a patch of wheat or rye in the back corner of the farm close to the bus.. But I thank I would rather just sour some grain when I get ready to get me a hog.. If they get used to comin up regular they will only hang around and root-up the pasture too.. If I just sour some grain and put it back there when I wanna kill one, they can smell it for a long distance and will come to it anyway.. The deer run all over the place all year anyway and if I mow a path thru they will follow it and I can mow it thru up closer to the bard and just sit in camp and hunt deer while sippin my coffee and eatin and cookin..

They get used to the smoke and smells of me and the camp and I've had em come up to within 30 feet of my camp while I was sittin and sippin my mornin coffee and warmin by the fire.. But I've been out squirrel huntin and the wind come up and I took a nap to wait and see if the wind would lay and woke up with a 6 point buck smellin of my boots. And I've had em sneak up right behind me while I was payin attention to my favorite squirrel nest and the sunzabitch would snort and scare the shit outta me..

So, I guess the peecan tree is gonna be history now and huntin and campin is gonna take its place here in these pages.. Hope you aint dissappointed.. snicker snicker

5 Comments:

Blogger Papa Ray said...

No WB, not disappointed, just envious.

When the shooting starts, you might need some armor. I know when I used to go to a little south of here, down next to the border, to hunt mule deer, wearing an orange vest wasn't much protection.

Had at least one hunter killed every year that I paid attention.

On another note, I try every way I can think of to get Sweet Sarah to eat new veggies. Tonite I made up a pan full of zucchini, which she won't eat, but she will eat tomatoes...so I figured to fool her.

I cut up some sweet onion in a pan with lots of olive oil and cooked them tender like and added the sliced zucchini and cut up a couple of our ripe tomatoes, added a spash of red cooking wine (cheap stuff) let it simmer a while with the lid on, then added about a teaspoon of sugar and a few shakes of italian seasoning and salt and a little (very little) pepper.

I cooked some chicken breasts in the oven with mushrooms and sauce. Then I gave her some of the zucchini dish I had made in a small bowl and told her just to eat around anything she didn't want.

I checked back with here after awhile and the dish was EMPTY.

I didn't say anything, just asked her later if supper was ok.

She said yes, Papa, it was.

Thats enough for me.

Take care

Papa Ray

10:17 PM, August 26, 2007  
Blogger Greg said...

Mornin' WB.

I'm takin the day off today - officially you understand.

So the "fuggin peecan" is finally (almost) no more? Cool!! I can see it's been occupying so many of your wakin hours and many more besides.

I still don't get why ya didn't cut it up for the smoker. I'd trade some of my finest brisket for a stock of peecan lumber like that.

I see you're doin some very Italian cookin' there Papa Ray. Sounds great. There's a fair few Italian Americans down my way, but the restaurants are crap, so I get to wonderin' what their home cookin is really like?

5:08 AM, August 27, 2007  
Blogger nanc said...

i'm up here in north arkansas - i'll tell you when the dayamed tree stops burnin'!

bwaaaaaaaaaahahahahaha!

papa - try this with the zucchini - grate a bunch of it and mix it with cracker crumbs, onions and eggs and whatever spices you like - form into patties and fry in about a half inch of hot oil until brown - can be eaten on a bun like a burger or as a side dish - put some grated cheese on it - DELISH!

12:32 PM, August 27, 2007  
Blogger Wild Bill said...

Here is a place(and some samples with more at the site) that I got some recipes from and I tried a few that turned out really good..

from here:

http://www.aliciasrecipes.com/
impossible_pies.htm

IMPOSSIBLE RATATOUILLE PIE
1 c. chopped zucchini
1 c. chopped pared eggplant
1/2 c. chopped tomato
1/2 c. chopped green pepper
1/4 c. chopped onion
1 med. clove garlic, crushed
1/4 c. margarine or butter
3/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. dried basil leaves
1/2 tsp. dried thyme leaves
1/8 tsp. pepper
1 c. shredded Monterey Jack cheese
1 1/4 c. milk
1/4 c. sour cream
3/4 c. Bisquick baking mix
3 eggs

Heat oven to 400 degrees. Lightly grease pie plate, 10 x 12 inches. Cook zucchini, eggplant, tomato, green pepper, onion and garlic in margarine until crisp-tender. Stir in seasonings. Spread in pie plate; sprinkle with cheese. Beat remaining ingredients until smooth. 15 seconds in blender on high speed or 1 minute with

hand beater. Pour into pie plate. Bake until knife inserted halfway between center and edge comes out clean, 30-35 minutes. Let stand 5-10 minutes.


---------------------------------

ASPARAGUS IMPOSSIBLE PIE
2 c. cooked asparagus, cut up
1 c. shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 c. chopped onions
3/4 c. Bisquick
3 eggs
1 1/2 c. milk
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp pepper

Combine first 4 ingredients and place in greased pie plate. Blend remaining ingredients and pour over asparagus mixture. Bake at 400 degrees for 35-40 minutes.


-----------------------------------

IMPOSSIBLE BROCCOLI AND CHEDDAR PIE
2 (10 oz.) pkgs. frozen chopped broccoli
3 c. shredded cheddar cheese (12 oz.)
2/3 c. chopped onion
1 1/3 c. milk
3 eggs
3/4 c. Bisquick baking mix
3/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper

Heat oven to 400 degrees. Grease pie plate (10 x 1 1/2). Rinse broccoli under running cold water to thaw; drain thoroughly. Mix broccoli, 2 cups of the cheese and onion in plate. Beat milk, eggs, baking mix, salt and pepper until smooth, 15 seconds in blender on high or 1 minute with hand beater. Pour into plate. Bake until knife inserted in center comes out clean, 25-35 minuets. Top with remaining cheese. Bake just until cheese is melted, 1-2 minutes longer. Cool 5 minutes. Yield 6-8 servings.


-----------------------------

IMPOSSIBLE BLT PIE
12 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
1 c. (4 oz.) Swiss cheese, shredded
1 1/2 c. milk
1/8 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. pepper
1/2 c. mayonnaise
4 eggs
1 c. Bisquick baking mix
Lettuce and sliced tomatoes

Grease pie plate (10 inch). Layer bacon and cheese in plate. Beat remaining ingredients except lettuce and tomatoes until smooth. Pour into plate. Bake 30 to 35 minutes at 400 degrees until golden brown. Cool 5 minutes. Garnish with lettuce and tomatoes and crumbled bacon.

3:16 PM, August 27, 2007  
Blogger Almtnman said...

Wild Bill, I'm glad that pecan tree finally met it's match. I'd of swore that some smoke from it has drifted over here to Alabama the last few weeks. I knew that you could get it done though.

One of them porkers ought to do just as good as a deer when it comes to getting meat for the pot. Don't let one of them get to close and stab you with those tusks though.

3:42 PM, September 01, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home