Sunday, July 01, 2007

Everythang Is On Hold

The Champaign of Bottled Homebrews

A lady that is in my Yahoo Group has a husband that is a SOF Troop that is currently on his 4th tour of Iraq.. He worked hard enuff to impress somebody with a buncha brass on their collar and got a few days R&R home..

I had planned to have a batch of Homecomin Homebrew ready when he got here and have it delivered along with some fresh garden veggies to welcome him home and show some appreciation for what he does for us..

As could be expected, the weather screwed the Homecomin Homebrew and it didnt get bottled in time..

I talked to her and explained the situation and told her that I had a special coupla bottles left from my last batch, but seems that she aint too worried about the homebrew right now..

So, I'm sittin here today havin a bottle of that last batch I saved and havin a ceegar with it, and DAMN, it sure is good..

I plan on poppin a top on a bottle of the new batch too before the day is over.. That is if this first bottle dont knock my lights out !! This last batch rates right up there at the top of some of the best I have ever made.. Its stout and tart enuff to make your tongue water after havin a sip and dont leave an after-taste like store-bought beer does..

This is the kinda brew that you drank from a cup, like the "mountain shiners" do you see in the old movies.. You dont neccesarily have to wear the overalls when you drank it, but it does add a little "ambiance" to the occasion..

This damn weather sure is playin hell with all my plans I try to make.. I've been plannin a day or 2 at the farm to get caught up on my mowin and tillin but with it rainin damn-near every day it makes it hard to get anythang done.. I barely get to mow the yard here at home while the grass is, at least, almost dry enuff to mow without cloggin the mower between rains.. Yep, we are havin rain and thunder again today too.. Had a good shower yesterday afternoon but I thought that if it just rained a little and cleared up this mornin that I would still be able to go to the farm this afternoon and get somethin done, but it has persisted in keepin on rain for the last coupla hours now.. Gonna be too wet to do any mowin today now..

I've got my chain hoist loaded on my trailer now and I need to find another tree to hang it in.. I've had it in the big peecan tree in the front yard for about 10 years but the old peecan tree, the same one that has been fallin down, finally rotted the big limb I had the hoist hangin in and I parked my trailer under it and sure enuff it feel onto the trailer the other day.. I dont have any more trees big enuff here at the house to hang my hoist in that are anywhere that I can still use it so I figger I will just hang it in a tree at the farm.. I've got plenty of big oaks out there that will be strong enuff to pick up just about anythang I wanna pick up..

Now understand that this aint no small hoist.. Its a 30 TON hoist and weighs about 500 lbs. !! It aint gonna be an easy task gettin that big sucker hung in a tree out there.. The tree limb that I would like to hang it in is about 20 feet up and I aint figgered out how I would get it up that high yet.. Just another one of my projects that has been put on hold cause of all the rain..

The Mrs. has plans for me to produce a batch of my famous bbq ribs for the holiday, one day this week.. She plans on makin some tater salad too with em and I guess I'll make a pan of baked beans to go with all that .. Kinda hard to have ribs and tater salad and then not have baked beans with it.. Just wouldnt be "proper", as my daddy would say.. And never can tell, I might just get energetic and stir up a big bowl of cole slaw so the tater salad and baked beans dont get lonesome..

My neighbor-buddy, Billy, is havin a birthday July 4th too and we usually invite him down to join us and celebrate with a few coldbeers but he is supposed to be goin to she his gravely ill sister in Indiana either today or tomoro..

Last year we still had our "house guest" with us and Sherry and her husband came over and Billy and Gunny stopped by and joined us too..

The Mrs. aint said nothin bout whether anybody has said anythang about joinin us this year.. Billy is probably not gonna be here and our house guest aint welcome here anymore and neither is Gunny.. Its our turn to visit Sherry so dont know if they will come or not.. But we live here on the Main Drag in town and you never can tell who will drive by and decide to stop and visit, specially if they see me cookin and grillin and sippin !!

If anybody happens to be in the neighborhood, ya'll stop by !!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Darn it, I wish I were in the neighborhood as I'd stop by!!! The 4th of July is my favorite holiday of the year and I love getting together with people and sharing good food. Looks like I'll be alone, though, this year.

I've got to get out of the Bay Area!!!!

8:47 AM, July 02, 2007  
Blogger Wild Bill said...

Ol Billy has a g-daughter that is in the hospital here and he is gonna keep her little brother while her Mom stays at the hospital with her.. Looks like we will be able to toast his and our Country's Birthday together after all.. Billy's sister is doin better so he probably wadnt gonna go up there anyway..

I have no doubt that you would fit right into our get-togethers around here.. You remind me a lot of Sherry, and me and her get along like peanut butter and jelly !!

I dont have the WILD parties anymore like I used to have, but we still have plenty of laughs and plenty of music and plenty of conversation.. That is, if we can stop eatin long enuff..

You ever get serious bout gettin outta Dodge out there you let me know if its Texas you decide on comin to.. I have a few contacts that might help you get your choice of locations in your profession.. The Salary aint the same but the Cost Of Livin makes up the difference ..

We'll be thankin bout you come time for the get-together and give a hearty toast to you too..

11:44 AM, July 02, 2007  
Blogger Papa Ray said...

WB, I would sure stop by if I could ever get out of town, but my finantials and other unending things keep me here.

I had the same problem getting a hoist up as you do. I tied a big rope to a chain and attached that to the chain on the hoist and threw the rope over and hooked my truck to the rope and pulled it up enough to get the chain on the truck and then pulled it up to where it needed to be.

I was young enough then that I could still climb the tree and shimmy out to put a big bolt and washer plates on to secure it.

Worked ok, till I jumped the last few feet to the ground and sprained an ankle.

I been watching you get rained on, it's dried up here, can't even tell we almost got flooded out. This West Texas sand soaks it up faster than a dry sponge.

I tried homebrewing some beer long ago, it was drinkable, but nothing worth trying again. I had bought one of them store bought rigs that came with everything you needed and directions.

I don't drink beer anymore so it's not an option anymore. I buy one of those big bottles of Vodka and it lasts me about two weeks, being as I only have one tote in the AM with my V8, pepper sauce and black pepper and one tote in the PM with iced tea and lemon.

We had a great get together yesterday, I was surpised when it was told, there were over ten guys and 8 wifes and a gross of kids that showed up.

Most at one of our gatherings in a long time.

We had a good time, swapping lies and making promises. One promise we all made each other is that if the shit hits the fan, we would all try and help each other out. We decided that we needed a plan, and some way of communicating. Ham radio is about the only way if phones are out and no internet. we are looking for the best deal on some HR sets, maybe a group buy or something.

Gotta go, chores await.

Papa Ray

12:03 PM, July 02, 2007  
Blogger Redneck Southern Belle said...

Oh darling, trust me, if David didn't have to work tomorrow, we'd be there. But at least he gets paid double time for working. He's off Thursday and Friday though. Let me see what he's got in mind. Maybe we can run over and get Petra's hooch before her hubby heads back. This is gonna be the first 4th of July I've spent by myself. Not sure what I'll do. Had plans to try and go see the fireworks display, but it's been called off. Guess I'll spend the day emailing and faxing Congress. I love aggravating the shit out of them. After all, it's just payback for how much they aggravate the shit out of me.

1:19 AM, July 04, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home