Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Food Prices

I dont do very much shoppin, but I read the stores(we have 2 here) "sale" paper for the comin week that we get each Tuesday.. I do most of the meal plannin in this house and use the sale papers to see what they have to offer and what I might need(that I dont already have) to use somethin on sale to make a meal with..

I looked at the new one we got today and they had spare ribs on sale for $1.49 a lb.. I remembered that MamaBear was askin what we paid for em around here.. I also noticed that flour is up to $1.88 a 5/lb now.. I use a lot of flour so I pay attainchen to that kinda stuff.. I had been payin .88 for a 5/lb not long ago tho.. I make a lot of fresh bread and rolls and use flour in my cornbread.. I knew corn prices have gone up a lot due to them usin a lot of it in Ethanol now but didnt thank it was affectin wheat prices too.. The price of bacon and sausage has gone thru the roof here, but a whole shank ham is on sale for $1.09 a lb this next week.. I like to get em to slice most of it in slices about 3/4 " thick to put on the grill, and leave me a good-size "soup bone" to cook a pot of beans with after I smoke it.. Thats still about the same price it was back around Thanksgivin and Christmas so they aint gone up all that much..

I consider that what we pay for food here is rather on the good side of what other folks pay for their food.. One of the stores is only about 3 blocks from the house and I know most of the people that work there besides the school kids that work as sackers and stockers.. They change so often that I caint keep up with em.. But they treat me real good so I dont do much shoppin any where else.. As a matter-of-fact, the girls that work there exchange birthday gags and cards and recipes with the Mrs. ..

You could tell by lookin at us that we eat pretty good in this house but we usually manage to keep our grocery bill well under $200 a month.. We seldom eat or order out too, so that is for the whole deal.. I thank thats doin pretty good for feedin 3 people !! And we aint eattin beans and cabbage every meal either.. I marinated boneless chicken breast to cut up and put in salads yesterday and have a whole fryer in the rotisierre today.. I have beef liver thawin to make liver and onions tomoro.. I have plans for some turnip greens and fried taters (w/onions and peppers) and grilled hamsteak in the near future.. THATS the one that I'm lookin forward too !! Its just canned turnip greens but the thangs are sure good simmered with a few pieces of smoked bacon in em..

Anybody seen anythang about the food prices around the rest of the country lately ??

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just happen to have Safeway's advertisement today! Avocado $1 each, oranges $1 lb, X-Rib roast-3.49 lb, London broil 2.29 lb and country style pork ribs 1.49 lb. Better deals on other fruit but it's imported - I boycott it!

8:00 PM, March 27, 2007  
Blogger citizen_us said...

I aint really paid much attention to the prices. But them two male childs of mine, moved out about a month ago.

20 and 23 years old. The grocery bill dropped by 50 bucks a week.

Flour and sugar stayin' bout the same as normal, pork and beef, maybe up around a dime more per, so says the cook.

Oh, yeah. Blogger wouldn't let me use my pre-upgrade name.
This is Joe Citizen, WB.

8:17 PM, March 27, 2007  
Blogger Wild Bill said...

H. since you made thew changes at your place, it wont let me comment AT ALL.. Startin to wonder if you have me blocked or somethin..

I see sales from the bigger cities near us and their prices are just a little below us on some stuff, but a lot higher on others.. But it aint worth it to travel to get a little bit of a price break when the price of the gas to get there and back eats up all the savins..

8:53 PM, March 27, 2007  
Blogger citizen_us said...

WB, try UN-blocking pop-ups. Or if you don't have em blocked, you might have cookies blocked.

What browser you using?

I miss your comments, for sure.

And tomorrow being Thursday and all, with a pretty special batch, whipped up.

My nearest city is 100 miles away, i wouldn't drive that far for a good deal on staples, for damn sure.

We have the obligatory Wal-mart superstore, but the mom and pops are the best places for meats and such.

8:36 AM, March 28, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No time to reply. Got 4 nites of 12 hours ahead of me but I will so an investigation and get back!

1:02 PM, March 28, 2007  
Blogger Papa Ray said...

We have three different chain grocery stores plus walmart.

I buy can goods from walmart, meat from one, produce from a third.

The last is too damn big and offers sales on meat that i get once in a while.

Our prices are about the same as yours WB.

But we haven't bought pork in a few years, cause my oldest Grandson does Ag and has raised a pig for the last three years (two this year).

Prices are a little higher on most everything over last year, but still affordable for my limited budget.

Talking about greens...

Here is my recipe for that wonderful food, or I should say my Mama's recipe.

1 ham hock (large) or two small. (well cooked)

AND then...

4 cups (or so) of the water off of your boiled ham hocks
1 lb turnip greens
1 lb mustard greens
1 medium onion, finely chopped (1 cup)
1/2 tablespoon sugar
6 or 8 shakes of hot sauce
salt and pepper to taste

Boil your hock till really done, don't salt the water much.

Put in with your other fixins and cook slow for a couple of hours. stir when you think about it.

What we don't eat, we freeze or refrigerate. It's even better the second time around.

Talking about prices on food. If I travel twenty or so miles I can save a little on meats at a little independent store that buys from a local packing house. But the real reason is that they have better cuts and we know that the beef is from Texas.

Papa Ray

7:29 PM, March 29, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home