Thursday, June 01, 2006

Beans and Greens

Early today I found a little bit of smoked bacon in the bottom of the meat drawer and decided that it wasnt enuff to have with eggs or do much else with besides make a small pan of pintos beans with.. I cooked em up REAL good and found a big can of Country Seasoned turnip greens in the cupboard to have with em.. The Mrs. said she didnt want cornbread with it, so we just had bread and butter and put the beans over rice.. I musta been hungry for that stuff cause I sure did stuff myself on it tonite for supper..
It was somethin we were needin too, cause last nite I fried a big mess of catfish, hush puppies and fried taters.. All that fried food had us kinda draggin today..
My Daddy always liked his beans and greens too.. Usually a lot more than me or Mama did !! Daddy could eat em 2 or 3 times a week, but I prefer once every coupla weeks myself..
When I was single and didnt want to cook for just me, I would open a can of spinach and add a little pepper to em and eat em right out of the can.. Specially in the hot hot summertime.. I most-times had cornbread handy to have as my midnite snack with milk, and it went good with my spinach and pickled eggs too..
That reminds me that I aint pickled any eggs lately.. I gotta put that on my To-Do list.. The Mrs. dont really care for em much, so I fix em like I like em, and I like mine kinda HOT.. Add some crackers and sharp cheddar and I can put-away my share of some good coldbeer with that kinda stuff !! Have ya'll noticed the PRICE of pickled pigs feet lately ?? DAMNATION they sure are proud of those thangs anymore !! I like to eat em, but I sure-as-hell aint gonna fix em myself.. I guess the Chinese or somebody has been tryin to buy all of em or somethin.. Back a few years ago, the Chinese made a deal with the chicken producers to buy a shit-load of chicken breasts, and the price of em went over $2 a lb, but leg quarters went down to 9 cents a lb.. I figgered out how to make all kinds of shit out of leg quarters back then !!
I guess its time I go let my tired ol ass have a rest in the bed a while.. I'm gonna see what the "fuss" is about on the talk shows tonite.. Lately they have been harpin on the new movies comin out now and I dont give a rats about none of that shit.. To ME, the new movies ALL SUCK !!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Lord, you can't let David know you're making pickled eggs. He loves them. He got into a mess of them one night with extra sharp cheddar cheese and pigs feet as a snack at the bar he played in on weekends. About the time we get good and asleep, it all hits bottom and he can't help but let it rip. He spent the rest of the night on the couch and has been banned from eating that combination ever again. Not if he wants to sleep in my house, he won't. hugs, Sherry

12:31 AM, June 05, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home