Saturday, May 20, 2006

Slave Driver

Me and Billy have been "playin farmer" most of the last week, and I can report that we have made GOOD progress..
We broke up about a half-acre and got it tilled good and then we proceeded to plant 35 tamater plants and 36 pepper plants.. But, we still have a bunch of squash seed and okra seed to get in the ground.. Next will be the cucumber and melon seed and a fresh round of greens seeds and some carrots..
I'll have to plow and disc another half-acre place to start the rest of it after we get this batch planted..
Billy is startin to get his energy and strength back some now, and I fear he is gonna work my ass off yet !! It sure does feel good to get out and work and get the fresh air, but I just wish the weather would be a little more GENTLE on us.. Every day we have gone to the garden this week, it has gotten a little hotter.. One day we didnt have a breeze to work with and it was the ruffist to hack, but yesterday was the HOTTEST(upper 90's and LOTS of sun) but we had a nice breeze and it was the easiest to handle.. We dont work but about 45 minutes to an hour at a time,then take a beer-break..
Today we are gonna take it easy and load a truckload of limbs his kids trimmed from the trees in his yard and haul them to the garden and pile em to burn later..

Billy is a real nice feller and I like the time that we spend at the garden and the talks we have on our beer-breaks too.. He was very nice and good to my Mama and Daddy while they were here and I feel like I owe him a debt of gratitude for that, but he makes it a pleasure to be able to be there for him when he can use an ear and shoulder too.. I just hope that when I get 70 years old that somebody will able to put up with my grouchy old ass and I can still have a few friends that give a shit about me too.. Bein old is bad enuff, but bein old without friends is somethin I dont want to have to find out about..
Hope ya'll have a good weekend.. Later..

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well I'll sure be glad when you're done getting his garden in. We kind of miss ya now and then ya know. hugs, Sherry

10:31 PM, May 22, 2006  
Blogger citizen_us said...

a little variation on thursday thongs coming at ya tomorrow, WB.

I thought you might venture a guess at the slot picture, too.

3:34 PM, May 24, 2006  
Blogger citizen_us said...

man, cant believe ya got no comment on such a fine car picture.

9:42 PM, May 25, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home