Wednesday, October 17, 2007

You Never Know

Life's "Cards"

I've got a body repair shop right across the street from me and I noticed that they are in the final stages of gettin a '55 Chevy 2-door restored from the ground up..

So yesterday I went over to check it out never imaginin how much it was gonna depress me.. You see, the guy that owns it had bought it a few years ago before he retired and planned to have the car restored and completed bout the time he finally did retire and then tour around in the car for a while..

Aint gonna happen !! The car is almost finished now and the guy did his last week at work and a week later found out he had advanced cancer and is never gonna get to do that tour and now even rarely feels up to comin to check on how the car is comin along..

The guy sold the car and the new owner came by a coupla days ago to see it.. Bought it sight-unseen for $75K .. He bought somebody elses dream for $75K !!

Wadnt it Fleetwood Mac that had the song that said "do you have any dreams you'd like to sell" ??

Me ?? Dreams ?? Nah.. Not the tangable kind that can be bought and sold anyway.. I do have some real sweet WISHES tho.. The spiritual kind, like Peace, Love, Solitude, and Contentment..

5 Comments:

Blogger Greg said...

Many years ago I knew a school teacher who had become a total wreck through years of teaching a generation of kids from some of the worst neighborhoods you can imagine.

He dedicated his working life to these dirtbags and in return he got daily abuse, threats and was assaulted on more than one occasion. His daily grind cannot have been any better than sheer torment.

Towards the end he could hardly wait for his retirement and who would blame him.

This guy was an intelligence officer in WWII and a veteran of the Normandy beaches and was present at the liberation of Bergen-Belsen Concentration Camp.

I'll never know why he stuck it out instead of moving away and imparting his considerable knowledge and experience to a more appreciative audience. I'll never know what his dreams were.

I do know that he died two weeks after his final day in his working, living hell.

5:43 AM, October 18, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Damn. You hear this all the time. Brought tears reading this post, WB. Guess the lesson is to try and live as much as you can for today rather than waiting for retirement.

7:34 AM, October 18, 2007  
Blogger nanc said...

yup - nobody ever wished they'd spent more time working when all is said and done - the time to live is NOW!

9:49 AM, October 18, 2007  
Blogger Wild Bill said...

I may not have a 55 Chevy, or a lot of thangs for that matter, but neither have I spent my life just waitin for that day that I could retire and do what I wanted to do..

I've spent most of my life since the Military workin for myself.. Seems that when I did try to work for somebody else they expected me to kiss their ass and Homey doan pla dat !!

I look around at other folks my age and see a buncha people up to their ears in hock for new houses and new cars and trucks and been to rehab at least once cause they had to have some kinda drug to make their life bearable..

Didnt take me long to figger out that kinda life wadnt for me.. Everythang I got is paid for and never have been much for the drugs.. I sure would like me another truck tho !! Paid CASH for a new truck 10 years ago and took out Liability Insurance on it and a month later I got drunk and wiped it out so bad that the only thangs salvagable of it was the motor and transmission, the tailgate and the seat.. I still have the HULL out at the farm as a reminder..

But I dont have to retire to do the thangs I wanna do.. I've been doin em all my adult life..

3:00 PM, October 18, 2007  
Blogger nanc said...

i decided a very long time ago that i was going to LIVE until i die. so far, so good.

6:26 PM, October 19, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home