Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Slowly Makin A Comeback

My garden and the area around the barn where I camp is slowly makin progress at lookin like it is useable again.. But the heat and humidity is really takin a toll on this ol Fat Man tho..

I finally got all my tamater plants weeded today but I still dont have all of em tied back up but I do have em kinda stuck up on the rest of the tied ones and off the ground.. Damn Fire Ants are bout to eat my ass up too.. I hopped off my scooter yesterday and sat down to start weedin the tamaters and happened to sit down RIGHT on top of a nest of Wolf Spiders that were mostly 5 to 6 inches across em and there were probably 10 or more of em.. I had my gloves on and made a fist and started playin "whack a spider" with em..

I got 2 new rows tilled and got 1 of em rowed up and planted with White Beans and it wont take long to get the other row rowed up and planted with Pintos again..

My okry and pepper plants are doin good and the okry is finally bloomin and puttin on small pods now and the peppers are covered with blooms and peppers just about ready to pick.. The tamater plants are loaded with tamaters still and lots of blooms too.. Picked another Wal-Mart bag full of em today.. Gonna be time to make another batch of Salsa soon and this time I'll have some of my own peppers to put in em, and this time I'm gonna BAN the Mrs. from the kitchen while I make it !! She didnt let me put enuff peppers in the last batch and it came out Gringo Style.. Now when I open a jar of the old batchI have to mix a bunch of Tony Cachere's Cajun Seasonin in it to get a little HEAT in it.. Its good that way but just aint the same as havin the peppers COOKED in it like its supposed to..

My new battery on my scooter is workin out much better but I still need to get one more to get the LASTIN POWER up where I need it to be.. And my generator is needin to have the carb cleaned on it again.. All this moisture we have had has it gunked up and I'll have to take the bowl off and clean it out and I thank I'll put new fuel lines and filter on it while I'm at it..

We have one more day, tomoro, of good dry weather before the rain and storms are supposed to move back in, but I dont know if I'm gonna feel up to doin it again tomoro or not.. I'm tryin not to wear myself down too much and open myself up to gettin sick.. There is a virus goin around these parts now that really knocks your ass in the dirt.. Kind of a Summer Cold, but wrings all the energy and wind out of you and has a cough that will really hurt you..

Since we took the Kid out of school, we aint had all the sickness we used to have.. Sure is nice too !! When she was in school we could count on us passin some sort of bug at least once a month.. Now I caint even remember the last time we suffered from somethin other than what we got from eatin or drankin too much from, but them dont count ..

I sure was hopin that I would get the garden and all caught back up so that I could take Miss Minnie Pearl with me and spend a coupla days and nites out at the farm without havin to work all the time and that we would get to play some, but looks like the rain is gonna be back about the time I get caught up and by the time thats over it will be time to start workin again.. The moon is goona be right for a nite at the farm soon too.. Sure is nice to sit out under a big bright moon and listen to the critters callin and gettin active ..

But hell, its time for me to get to work on the yard and projects I need to do here at the house now too.. Besides clippin the hedges and mowin, I wanna set whats left of this old big peecan tree on fire and see if I can get rid of that ragged lookin thang out of the front yard and I have a new faucet to put on the kitchen sink and new light switch to put in the bathroom and I still need to clean the deep freeze before I fire it up to put the stuff in it out of the garden, if I ever get enuff.. And I wanna put a new door on the big shop and move a bunch of stuff I have piled on the west side of the house so I can put a longer chain for Miss Minnie Pearl so she can have a bigger area to run around in.. And. And. And.. Aw Shit, I give up.. I aint ever gonna get it all done and be caught up so I can go play at the farm with Miss Minnie Pearl !!

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

geez---I'm exhausted just readin all ya gotta do! Our wolf spiders are only 2 inches across-thank God!-I couldn't handle the 6 inch ones. Yikes.
Yeah, make the salsa as hot as possible. The little woman can "water" it down with more tomaters or sumpin. See, now ya got me speakin "Wild Bill-ese".
Ahhhhh yes, the moon! I live for the full moon nites. Coming up is the full buck, full thunder, full hay moon. I get out my binoc's and watch the craters, there is sumpin magical about it. Just to sit and ponder and process all one's thoughts. Very relaxing and calming.
Back when I used to work on an on-call basis for my nursing home all the schedulers and my co-workers knew of my proclivity for moon watching. The Nursing managers and business exec's were having a pow-wow one day due to the nursing shortage--there was one weekend nite tht they had absolutely no one to work (I now work every fri and sat for them but at the time I worked only when I wanted to) one of the big-wigs said "hey call mamabear she will always come in when we are in a bind" three ppl in unison said "full moon, she won't come in" hahaha too funny, they all knew if it was a full moon I would be home in my moon house (gazebo) howling at the moon.
When I was younger I used to wonder what pleasure it was tht old folks got out of just sittin about. Now I know. One can observe, enjoy, and learn alot jest by settin. And tht's the truth.
I've even thought of buying some of those night vision goggles to watch all the foxes, coyotes, and great horned owls in the neighborhood. they all come out at nite. Me too.

3:19 PM, July 26, 2007  
Blogger Wild Bill said...

The trick is to sit in the dark where you caint actually see the Moon.. The White Light affects to cones in the eye and makes it difficult to see.. And the Nite Vision gizmos turn eveythang green..

The best I have found is an old rifle scope !! I have one that the crosshairs are gone and I use it..

I love to sit out in the woods at a place that has a tree canopy that shades me from the Moon and the critters come right up around and sometimes to me..

And the bus out at the farm is a great place to sit on Full Moons.. There is the big peecan tree right beside it and there used to be Flyin Squirrels that would come to it at nite and I would feed em Vanilla Wafers out the window by hand.. The pool was right by the bus too and you always got to see the critters come to fish and wash and drink.. ALL kinds of em..

When I had my Chevy Blazer I would take the top off, or usually I just left it off cept when it rained and sometimes I even left it off then and just wore my big hat, but I had a fav spot I would go and park on the night the Full Moon rose and I would go wait on it.. Seemed kinda magical to watch..

But I have just as much fun watchin the Full Moon go down in the mornin twilight before the Sun comes up too..

But for the full effect of a Full Moon, you gotta be near water !! Water falls or a fountain make it that much better ..

I have a puter program on disk that I have taken off since I've had so many puter problems and I need to get it loaded on the other puter in the livinroom.. It is all about the Constellation and Planets and Stars.. Vast amounts of info there and it will adjust to the day and time that you bring it up, and it even has a VIRTUAL SKY to look at if its cloudy where you are and you can calibrate it to your coordinates..

You wouldnt happen to know of, or heard of, somebody named "Red Deer" would you ?? He knows a lot about the Moon too..

7:52 PM, July 26, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now you be sure to save me a jar or two of the hot stuff. I don't want the wimpy stuff, I want the real stuff. Maybe David and I can get over there in a couple of weeks on one of his days off.

8:32 PM, July 26, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just went out an hour ago to put some acid in the pool as the ph and alkalinity are up. Right out the kitchen door (and thank God I had my surefire executive elite E1e that I use at night to flashlight around work) was one o those big huge gargantuan bristly yellow garden spiders 3-4 inches acrost on a huge net he/she had created tht was directly in my path. I called to Bear "get out here and get the camera!" He and E ane the technophiles....I know nothing. So he came out and took all kinds o photos fore and aft of this thing. Then he went to the computer and blew it up to 8x10. OMG....talk about a horror show, and imagine if I had walked into the thing. EEEEEEEEKKKKKKKKKKKK!!!
I have long hair and I had it down if it woulda got stuck you woulda heard me all the way to Texas.
Now I always think those spiders are beautiful to look at in the garden and in the daylight but out my backdoor with free fall hair and in the dark? Ooooeeeee, I am ascared. There is something sooooo wrong with one's skeleton being on the outside. ishta.
But....I still like them. They just give me the heebee jeebies.

12:00 AM, July 27, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I did google "red deer" but did not find anything yet about him. There is another man by the name of "sun bear" I have heard of.

In looking about I did find a rather cool site known as

usno.navy.min/

This is the site of the us naval observatory and they gots all kindo cool stuff on astronomy and moon and planet stuff.

Any other really good MOON sites you folks out there know of let me know. I'd appreciate it!!!

12:17 AM, July 27, 2007  
Blogger Papa Ray said...

Hey WB. I'm not ever going to get my list of "to dos" finished either. It seems that as I do them, or at least try to , more keep popping up that I have to do first. Then more that squeeze themselves in whereever they think they can.

I told my Sweet Sarah one time, when I was doing something, and she had asked me how I knew what I was doing, anyway I told her that my Dad had taught me a lot and the rest I had learned in my long life.

Her reply was that she didn't think she wanted to learn how to do all that "stuff", cause then she would have to do it.

Smart kid.

But she is beautiful as well as smart and I doubt she will ever suffer for lack of people wanting to help her.

Take em one at a time WB, and don't worry about much more than you have to.

Take Care

Papa Ray

10:24 PM, July 27, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Of course I should ask a dumb question.....y'all been over to Texas Fred's site? Very interesting

3:14 AM, July 28, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The only good spider is a dead spider, if you ask me! I got the willies just reading WB's and Mama Bear's accounts!!

Mama Bear I have Texas Fred as one of my favorites! Ever read Grouchy Old Cripple? He's pretty good, as well. Also Anti-Idiotarian Rottweiler.

Hope the salsa was hot enough, WB!

8:19 AM, July 28, 2007  
Blogger Almtnman said...

WB, I like my salsa really hot too, how bout posting your recipe here so I can make a batch for myself. I got plenty of maters and some fiery hot jalapeƱos and cayennes. I know that I need some onions in there, but don't know what else to add.

Ya'll have a good day,
Almtnman

4:00 PM, July 28, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home