Thursday, November 02, 2006

That Damn Time Change

Well, we set the clocks back the other day.. I know I'm supposed to also change the batteries in the smoke alarms, but with a wood stove that sets em off all the time, I took down the alarms last year..

But I have another ritual I perform when the time changes.. I get my guns out and strip and clean and oil em..

My house is drafty and we live here on a busy street that has a street sweeper that comes by fairly often and fogs dust into the house.. Its impossible to keep the dust out of this house, and my guns catch hell from it..

I dont keep my guns in a closet or cabinet either.. Bedside my bed, under the mattress, and beside the dresser, and behind the door.. They catch plenty of dust and time changes are about the limit to how long they can go between cleanins..

Time change is when I like to go shootin too.. I'll go check and see if my scope is still on target, altho I havent had to make an adjustment to it in about 10 years now, and that was when I was shootin at some quart oil cans at about 300 yards.. Not bad shootin with a .30 .30, if I say so myself.. I like to go shootin THEN clean em and put em back up.. Saves cleanin em and then shootin em then cleanin em again..

I had planned on goin shootin this weekend but looks like the weather is gonna go all to shit and rain and be cold.. Supposed to hover around 30 degrees and rain.. Rain ?? At 30 degrees ?? Hmmmmmmmmmmm ..

I usually go shootin at the farm which is just outside the City Limits.. There is a EMT/Bambalance Station just on the edge of town, and it never fails that when I go firin off the big gun, that some of the EMT's dont come down to see what all the noise is about.. My farm is open pasture and the back of it is lined with big oak trees that bounce the noise back toward the road and toward town.. I also shoot high powered cartridges too, so it does make a helluva racket !!

The Mrs. hates to go with me shootin but dont like me goin by myself.. I guess she is afraid I might get into trouble or somethin if I went by myself.. You reckon ?? So I give her warnin that I'm gonna shoot off a few rounds and she gets in the car and rolls the windows up and turns up the radio so that she wont jump out of her skin when I pull the trigger.. She still has to remind herself not to drank anythang while I'm shootin or she will spill it all over herself..

I used to like to do neat shit while shootin.. I would line up old washin machines or fridges and see how many I could get a bullet to go thru.. Or sit low and shoot off the tops of the tall grass or shoot thru the trunk of a small tree and see how many shots it took to cut the tree down.. There used to be a crow problem out there.. Like I said, USED TO BE..

But we'll have a nice weekend or some nice days again before long and I'll get to do my shootin and gun cleanin and then I'll wait for the time to change again..

Do ya'll have as hard a time as we do gettin used to the time change ?? It gets the Kids internal clock all screwed up !! She takes meds 3 times a day and the last one is right before bedtime at around 8:30.. She now wants to take her meds and go to bed at 7:30.. Hell, I can understand it and sympathize with her tho, cause I've been wakin up around 4 or 4:30 wantin my mornin cup of coffee !! I had a cup of coffee at around 5 this mornin and then went back to bed.. Speakin of bed, that where I need to be now.. G'nite..

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're not the only one who's screwed up with the time change. And poor David, just getting used to the day shift is really screwed up. But hopefully we'll adjust soon. May pop over your way this weekend, weather permitting. Got to get that desk off my porch, don't cha know? hugs, Sherry

10:52 PM, November 03, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home