Sunday, November 05, 2006

My Old Vinyl

I did a little revertin into my past today.. I dug in the shop and pulled out an old turntable.. Brought it into the house and plugged it into my sound system and fired that mother up !!!

I took a trip back in time to when I used to sit and listen to my old LPs.. I started with my ballroom music, like Glen Miller and Tommy Dorsey, then went to dance hall with Bob Wills, Johnnie Lee Wills, Mickey Gilley, Gene Watson, and Mel Tillis.. From there I went to the Honky Tonk.. I got to listen to some Jerry Lee Lewis, Merle Travis, Bocephus, and Merle Haggard.. After that I put on some Juke Joint tunes.. Skynyrd, Ronnie Van Zant, and some other stuff mixed in..

I have a pretty good collection of LPs tho, and they cover a bunch of ground.. Today I got to listen to some music that I just dont get to hear anywhere on the radio anymore..

CDs are nice for their quality and ease of transition, but those old scratchy, skippin LPs are somethin to reflect on..

I remember when I lived in west Texas.. I had a neighbor that would buy all the whiskey and beer if I would just bring my music and player over to his house and play that stuff for him .. I thank he was born around 1918 and he just didnt appreciate the music that was around back in the late '70's and '80's.. But he appreciated mine !! How else can you explain lookin at an old man and seein him with a grin from ear-to-ear and tears runnin down his cheeks ?? His wife, Mrs. Ethel, would sit and slap her knee and holler right along with the rest of us, and yell, "PLAY IT AGAIN BILL" !! Mrs. Ethel was in the final stages of the ravages of breast cancer then, and to see at least one of her last "good" days was somethin I'll never forget.. Just glad I could be part of it and maybe help to bring it to her.. They will both be forever missed by me..

Old memories and old music seem to go hand-in-hand, dont they ?? Kinda like Mickey Gilley's song, "The Song That We First Made Love To".. Or maybe Gary Stewart's, "An Empty Glass" ?? Ever been sittin in a bar at closin time and heard that one ??

I dont like today's music, and I dont like a lot of today's musicians either.. The Dixie Chix are the first to come to mind.. I get tired of hearin the people singin today's songs that are so young that their voices havent finished changin yet.. They are supposed to be tellin life's story in music, and yet they aint even dry behind the ears and really dont have any life stories to tell, other than how they got beat up in Junior High or how the nanny punished em for pissin their clothes..

But as long as my old turntable holds out, I'll just keep playin the old stuff and rememberin old friends and old times and wish it could be like that again..

Any old music I can play to thank about ya'll and times past that you remember to music ?? Who and what do ya'll like to listen to ??

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like you're taking a few trips down memory lane. Funny how the good old days, even the bad, seem better than today!!!!

The Dells, Four Tops, Delfonics are my all time favorites!!!!

8:45 AM, November 06, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The falling leaves drift by the window. The autumn leaves of red and gold. I see yer lips, the summer kisses, the sun-burned hand I used to hold.

Since you went away the days grow long. And soon I'll hear old winters song. But I miss you most of all my darling...when autumn leaves start to fall............

Now aint that just beautiful...memories, they are delicious.

On the rockin side of life I really enjoy the music of the early 70's. most of that comes from the time when you and the Ranter were in the war. I was working a bar that had a band that played every nite---all those good songs.....so long ago. thanx for reminding me.

As we get older it is good to look back and remember.

4:09 PM, November 07, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home