Friday, October 19, 2007

My Time Of Year

Nip And Tuck

NIP in the air and TUCK in the covers !!

It was a chilly 48 degrees here this mornin and Deer Season starts 2 weeks from tomoro mornin.. You can almost feel the Redneck tension in the air in East Texas.. Its almost like the male deer's rutt and the male Redneck's rutt starts about the same time..

With the cool temps even the coffee out of the old Mr. Coffee tasted special this mornin..

I've got a trailer-load of stuff to take to the farm today and then I plan on goin to get a load of firewood if its dry enuff at the woodyard to get in..

I have some carpet and chairs and cookin pots and pans to take to the farm and I need to bring my big fresh water can in and fill it with drankin and cookin water and take it and another can of gas out there..

It aint gonna take a whole lot of prep to be ready to set up camp but I am gonna be busy for a coupla days.. The weather is gonna be perfect for the next 3 days.. 50 at nite and 80 durin the day and plenty of sunshine.. Its just gonna be hard to get motivated to do somethin besides sit around the fire and cook and eat and just enjoy the surroundins.. But I caint stand to sit still for long at a time tho.. Usually just long enuff to recharge the batteries on my scooter a little and then I'm off at it again..

Yeah, I've still got a few chores to do here at the house, but Deer Camp is a PRIORITY !!

Just a little Deer Season History.. A coupla friends of mine used to have a club just up the road from the farm and on Deer Season Eve they would have a Deer Hunter's Ball..

Imagine a crowd composed of guys with beards, in cammo, and smellin like campfire and a buncha gals dressed to the 9's and perfect makeup and hair..

The parkin lot has all these Lexus and Vettes and Caddies surrounded by pickups full of guns and the back of em has the hog huntin dogs and deer corn and passed-out lightweights and pickups pullin stock trailers with their horses still in em.. Before the night is over, one of them stupid drunk Rednecks is gonna unload his horse and ride it thru the club !!

Fights ?? DAMN RIGHT !! But its usually those Little Miss Prim and Propers that get down and dirty.. You dont thank those GUYS are gonna risk sittin in jail on the openin mornin of Deer Season, do you ??

Opera ?? Plays ?? Concerts ?? FUGGEM !! You caint beat good ol Redneck Entertainment..


UPDATE: I thought I had posted this before I left today but it appears that I didnt.. I underestimated how much work it was gonna take to get the camp ready.. The cool weather and the rain has me plenty of mowin to do now and the tamaters have decided to produce some more and need weedin too..

I did get the stuff dropped off at the farm and then got a load of firewood..

10 Comments:

Blogger Papa Ray said...

Glad to hear you getting geared up to go ta hunting.

A lot of my buds here are getting their gear in shape too. Most are going to south central Texas but a few are going other places.

Me..well, I'm staying home with my girls. My big excitement is going to be making sure that the ol' house is ready for the cooler weather. Not like we ever get cold weather as such, but we do have the winds all winter, so it can bring the chill factor down.

We need some rain or something bad. The dust the last few days has been bad and my nose is all plugged up. I refuse to take meds and drive so I just suffer.

I guess you got your scooter power problems fixed and it sounds like your getting lined out.

Your post on the stew prompted me to go to the market today and get some veggies to go with a huge roast that I am smoking right at this moment. It should be ready by tomorrow AM. I'll have to go out about 11 tonight and 3AM tomorrow, and add a few more chunks.

My little garden has finally bit the dust, the watermelons I planted turned out semi-ok, a little stunted but good taste.

I didn't plant any other melons this year, too much for my back keeping them cleaned out of grass and such. I can't afford that high dollar mulch and can't get it free like I used to.

I haven't been on the net much lately, Sweet Sarah and Sweet Hannah take up most of my time now.

Hannah is growing like a weed and doing good, the doc says she is way ahead of schedule on every measurement and gave me a A plus. I told her that her Mothers milk was not going to last much longer and when she went on formula she might slow down considerably. She agreed.

Take care and keep plugging.

Papa Ray

8:41 PM, October 19, 2007  
Blogger Wild Bill said...

You've been missed Papa Ray..

You caint fool me.. I've spent a buncha days and nites out on the Flightline at Dyess in Abilene and the Municipal Airport!! Blizzard conditions in Texas ?? YOU DAMN STRAIGHT !!

Got the scooter goin good but still aint got the brake thang done yet and still need another bigger battery.. Its 100 oercent better now tho..

Has Sweet Sarah got the Big Sis thang down to an art yet ?? If you find the right formula for Sweet Hannah pretty quick I wouldnt look for her to slow too much.. She should be just about to the BIG SMILES AT YOU stage about now.. Gives you a feelin like no other..

We still got a coupla bowls of our stew left and it aint even really been stew weather here.. We ate it like it was anyway.. That roast I used in it was great but I kept addin veggies till I almost ruined the meat taste in it.. I've got some pork chops to smoke and smother in gravy tomoro before I can go to the farm.. A little rice and some homemade bisquits and I know what I'll be havin for supper tomoro nite..

Weedin the garden has been a real bitch for me too this year, what with this sack of busted glass under my rib cage.. But I just caint give up on my tamaters yet.. I may even toss a little more fertilizer on em and heat the ground with it and watch em go to town.. I could possibly have me a bunch of fresh garden tamaters to go in my next pot of stew.. That is if I can keep the Mrs. from givin em all away !!

Give your Gals big hugs and kisses from ol Wild Bill and hope to see you round here again soon..

9:38 PM, October 19, 2007  
Blogger Wild Bill said...

A little story bout hunters and Bambi and Thumper..

http://article.nationalreview.com/?q=
NGYzZjdjNzJiYWQwMWFkYmMyNTA1
MzY1ZjFlMDAyODQ=

9:50 PM, October 19, 2007  
Blogger Greg said...

Thanks for that link, WB.

I love the Fall - cooking, the woods and the wood smoke are the best.

Merle and George are kickin out the footlights and I'm sitting here with my coffee thinking what I'm gonna make for dinner tonight.

Smokey rabbit with some of that hot sauce I was telling you about is beginning to figure in my plan.

It's cold and sunny over here today and I need to get out in the air. It's been a tough week at the Funny Farm.

You're right - you just can't beat that good ol redneck entertainment. Only wish I could get me some!!

4:33 AM, October 20, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Fug! I love it! Thought it was a word that came right out of Boston! (I've only heard our daughter use it!)
Papa ray, get yourself a netty pot, too! Clear your nose right out- no snoring or sinus infections. No medication from a Dr.!
Ali

10:03 PM, October 20, 2007  
Blogger nanc said...

pop's at the cabin this weekend - cut a few dead trees up and put feed out for the deer - we have some very spoilt deer on our mountain...

10:57 PM, October 20, 2007  
Blogger Almtnman said...

My favorite time of the year is Fall, the cool temps, the leaf colors, walking through the woods, hunting, hiking, driving on a back road early in the morning when it's covered with leaves, just getting out there and getting my head together. It's nice to get out this time of year.

8:07 AM, October 21, 2007  
Blogger nanc said...

i thought men had their "time of the year" every seven seconds or something like that?!?

bwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahaha!

have you taken the what kind of fall person are you? test?

8:33 AM, October 21, 2007  
Blogger nanc said...

if you see the mt. man again - please tell him i'm having a difficult time commenting at his site. tks.

10:55 PM, October 21, 2007  
Blogger Almtnman said...

nanc, what is happening about the comment difficulty? I just tried the comments on my site and it worked OK.

11:57 AM, October 22, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home