Saturday, April 07, 2007

I Ran Away From Home

For a night and day anyway.. I'm exhausted, but re-charged at the same time..

I went out to the farm yesterday afternoon and got all my stuff arranged and loaded the guns and sat down in the back corner and waited for my pigs to show up.. Assholes must have canceled cause they never showed..

It got cold last nite so after the hog no-show I came back to camp and made a nice campfire and popped a top on a bottle of my latest batch of homebrew and sat and absorbed the calm and quiet till the tranquility took its toll and I couldnt hold my eyes open any more..

The blissful undisturbed sleep snuggled under my down comforter I expected didnt happen tho.. After a half-gallon of hooch I had to pee about every hour till almost dawn.. Since I never did get to enjoy any of that R.E.M. sleep that is supposed to be the most restful, I woke up early this mornin stiff and sore and since it was cloudy and cold and windy I thought it was gonna be another long, dreary day today.. I couldnt have been any more wrong !!

I got the fire torched back up and my pot of coffee on the fire and was just startin to smell it.. It was still kinda dark and gloomy and there was more light from the fire than from the sunrise and I was busy loadin my pipe with some new tabacco the Mrs. got me (I'm outta ceegars) when I noticed ashes floatin down around me.. I looked at the fire and they werent comin from it so I jerked my head around to see if the trailer was on fire only to see that it wadnt from it either.. A quick 360 scan told me that whatever was on fire was not anywhere close to me.. But it wadnt ashes from any fire.. It was SNOW !! A whole 5 minutes of it but that 5 minutes changed my whole outlook for the day..

The coffee was GREAT.. The smoke was GREAT.. I forgot all about bein stiff and sore and thats how I started my day..

I finished that pot of coffee real quick and put another on and decided to do somethin.. So I started changin the oil in my mower.. Just like I figgered, the cold had the oil drainin like molases and that gave me time to enjoy that second pot of coffee and another pipe of that good smoke..

The clouds thinned enuff that I could watch the deer roam around and then my pair of Canadian Geese came for their daily visit.. They show up in the mornin and stay till almost dark and watch and inspect everythang I do.. They used to stay around the pool, but have gotten used to me now and roam all over the place.. It freaks me out how they will come to within 20 feet of me and just stand and watch me.. Reminds me of a coupla polite little kids just standin with their hands behind their backs.. But they got in my garden this evenin and I had to scold em a little..

After I got the oil changed in the mower it was startin to warm up and the sun was comin out so I had to uncover my tamaters.. The grass was gettin kinda long around my garden so I mowed around it and then I decided to mow some of the pasture too.. I spent the rest of the day mowin and takin breaks to sit by the fire and I even changed the oil in my generator too..

Its nice to be surprised sometimes, and how nice today turned out really surprised me..

6 Comments:

Blogger citizen_us said...

Sometimes the smallest thing can change your outlook on the day, glad yours was a bit of snow!

Peaceful Easter, Bill.
May God Bless you and your family.

H

11:43 AM, April 08, 2007  
Blogger Almtnman said...

Wild Bill, sometimes the simple things in life can be the most rewarding.

Happy Easter!

2:27 PM, April 08, 2007  
Blogger Papa Ray said...

Jeez, WB. I'm glad you had a nice day, but we froze out butts off here is West Texas. The wind was cutting right to the bone until it started sleeting and then later snowing. Then the wind went away and it was a nice snow that lasted about two hours.

Sarah hasn't been feeling good, she has a cold and allegys, but she played with her lab puppy (Sissy) and they had a great time in the snow.

I appriciate your sharing and believe it or not, your writing and your writing style. You are a good example of the people that I appriciate and enjoy.

But don't let that swell your head up too much. Your hat won't fit.

Papa Ray

4:10 PM, April 08, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Won't say I'm jealous. It's 71 degrees, blue sky and I'm basking in the sun on my work breaks!!

I am jealous, though, of the lifestyle you're living. It's the pace of life I aspire to - hope I can live it before I pass on to the great reward!!!

4:38 PM, April 08, 2007  
Blogger Wild Bill said...

For however nice yesterday was, today was the exact opposite..

I woke up to the same old aches and pains as yesterday but just a little more intense today..

A bright, clear mornin with cold, crisp air and not much breeze.. Coffee wadnt worth a shit and then it went downhill from there..

I cooked a Brown Sugar-Maple ham and candied sweet taters and fresh bread and green beans for dinner that was pretty good, but you could tell the Love just wadnt in it..

After dinner i just went back to bed and took a nap hopin that shit would be different when I woke up.. Didnt get any better while I was nappin, but it didnt get any worse either.. I ate again and went back to bed for a while.. Woke up and it still aint no better..

Seems like a day that is just so good that it is unbelieveble is always followed by one of those that you caint for it to be over !!

There is always tomoro tho..

About those "small thangs" , seems that if you dont have your expectations set too high to start with, then you wont be disappointed.. Too high of expectations prevents folks for acceptin thangs at "face value" ..

A kid that is expectin a new motor cycle for Christmas is just not gonna be happy when he finds a new, top-of-the-line bicycle next to the tree !! But a kid that is expectin a new pair of sneakers is gonna be thrilled to death with that new bike .. Know what I mean ??

Trouble is, that I wadnt expectin all that much from today when it started.. But like I always say: "coulda been worse" !!

Thank for the Well Wishes, and I hope ya'll had a great Easter, too.. At least better than mine..

7:36 PM, April 08, 2007  
Blogger Almtnman said...

Wild Bill, check your email. I have something to send you in the mail.

10:34 AM, April 09, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home