Sunday, April 22, 2007

As The Farm Turns

Me and Miss Minnie Pearl have been havin us a BIG TIME at the farm the last few days.. She got tard and wanted to come home, so when the Mrs. came to check on us today we decided it'd be best if she came came back home and stayed and rested up some.. I'm goin back either this evenin or tomoro mornin..

I've still got some stuff to fix that came unwound on me and I need to do some more waterin since I've put a shit-load of fertilizer on everythang and it looks like its just gonna "threaten" to rain and not actually do any.. Ground is so hard and dry now that the tiller just bounces around and dont do any diggin.. I've got almost a #3 wash tub of turnip greens that need pickin and tamaters that are bout Silver Dollar size..

Wish I had one of them new-fangled water pump thangs like Mtn Man has, but I've just got a 2 gallon bucket and a rope to do my wettin with.. But I've used a little bit of that "Southern Engenuity" on my waterin system and made it a little more tolerable.. I added pulleys and counter weights to my rope and a wash tub with a drain in the bottom with a water hose attached to run to my garden rows.. All I have to do is put my hose on the row I wannna water and sit on the well top and draw the water up bout 20 feet and pour it into the tub and let it flow.. It aint real easy, but it beats the shit outta pullin on the damn starter rope of a water pump for an hour to pump 10 gallons of water.. With my bucket system, I can draw water faster than it can run out of that 3/4 inch water hose and still have time to take a drank of my homebrew every now-and-then..

But the peace and quiet and serenity is un-freakin-real !! Its so damn quiet that I caint sleep !! I keep sleepin so sound till around 3 or 4 A.M. that I wake up and caint go back to sleep.. I just try for a little bit and then just go ahead and get up and put the coffee on.. Strange how I can get up and drink about 10 to 12 cups of boiled coffee and then get relaxed enuff to lay back down and take a nap for an hour or more..

Looks like the row of pinto beans I planted last week aint gonna come up, but I planted a row of green beans and a row of navy beans yesterday to make up for it.. Now if I can get a little rain to soften the ground some so I can get a few rows busted up enuff to get some corn planted it might get me back a little closer to bein on schedule..

The girls were hopin I'd come home and do a little cookin for em too, so I guess I can stay home tonite and get the house smellin like I still live here.. That'll give me a chance to "change oil" in my overalls too !! Them suckers are bout ready to stand up by themselves !! Bathin at the farm aint no problem, as long as I can keep MM Pearl from gettin the soap and eattin it, but clothes washin is still a big deal to accomplish..

I've kept losin my damn bars of soap and I aint been able to figger out where they have been goin to.. I just thought that some of the critters had been gettin em, but I know different now.. I washed my hands and face before bed last nite and I knew MMPearl had been up and on guard all nite, and the fact that she was pukin her toenails up this mornin finally helped it dawn on me that she had been eattin the damn thangs.. This was a BIG bar of soap so maybe she learned her lesson this time..

I'm too damn happy and content to really rant and rave about anythang right now, but give me a while in the same house with these two crazy females again and I'm sure I can come up with somethin !!

7 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Glad to hear that you are gettin' some enjoyment out of your gardenin' and stuff.

I never heard of a dog eatin soap, before. Any bubbles when she barks?

;-)

8:07 AM, April 23, 2007  
Blogger Wild Bill said...

Its more SANITY than enjoyment, it seems, H..

Its an escape from the confusion, stress and tension that surrounds me here in town..

I can witness more stupid people in 5 minutes here in town than I see or hear in 5 days at the farm..

All kinds of animals will eat soap.. But after pukin her guts out, I dont thank MM Pearl has as much fondness for soap now !! I still plan on gettin a bottle of liquid soap to take out there .. Maybe that'll help..

Do you still have the same Comment system at your blog, that wont work for me ?? I miss gettin to give you and the Girls a hard time there.. Thursday Thongs are still mighty good there tho !!

10:50 AM, April 23, 2007  
Blogger Papa Ray said...

Jeez, WB, MP is as bad as my Sweet Sarah's puppy-Sissy. She is going on six months and will chew on everything and try and eat most.

Have you ever tried just an old style hand pump like they used years ago, the kind you have to prime first? I haven't looked but I bet that they still sell them somewhere.

Might not be that much difference in amount of energy to get water, just a thought. But look at it this way, other than falling in the well, there is not a lot of trouble you can get into while your watering your garden.

Ha..

On your beans, water the hell out of them, they will come up.

Next time you plant your pintos, soak them in a bucket of water with a small dash of Peters all night before planting them.
Helps them get started.

Well, gotta go, got chores before my nap to do.

Papa Ray

12:29 PM, April 23, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I keep saying it, I'm jealous!! Here I am a wannabe country girl stuck in the big city life!! Glad you're relaxed and content and not letting the state of affairs have you on a rant!!! Your poor dog!! Hope she's recovered from her inner cleansing!!! Papa Ray, or WB, what is Peters??

8:06 AM, April 24, 2007  
Blogger Unknown said...

Yeah, it still uses the same comment system, WB. Sucks, sometimes.

I miss your thursday comments too, but mostly just your commenting in general.

My dogs won't eat soap. Although occasionally that big shepard will climb into the bathtub when she thinks she is dirty.

I didn't realize you were still sane, neither. ;-)

2:15 PM, April 24, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great to hear of yer life WB. Happy and content, I am pleased.

Mamabear been working up a storm, now tht my new Harley has come in I gotta work like a fiend to pay for it!!! Ha ha.

I am 57 years old and not getting any younger so I gots to buy my toys now...to set my old age for happy and content.

Passed my motorcycle permit endorsement test yesterday and have taken off the 4 days this weekend so I can take the 2 days of classroom and 2 days of field training for state licensing.

Gonna put a roll bar on it so tht when (notice I said not "if") it falls over with me on it I won't get burned. It is gonna have all those way-cool army decals affixed to it so I hope they stay secure!

We now actually now have green grass, just in the last week.....so it looks like we may get summer in the future. We can only hope.

9:45 AM, April 25, 2007  
Blogger Wild Bill said...

Happy and content didnt last long !!

5:32 PM, April 26, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home