Friday, March 11, 2005

Roll Your Own

Heard today that Texas is thinking about raising cig taxes another dollar-a-pack soon to finance school advancements. You say so what ?? They are gonna put taxes of all kinds of other stuff too.. Do you like Twinkies or Doughnuts ?? Taxing them too.. I wonder how hard it would be for me to get ahold of some tobacco seeds ?? Ive got 20 acres that I bet would grow some good short leaf, cig tobacco.. I smoke menthol, so I would have to figger out how to get that accomplished.. Hell, I can plant some grapes to make wine, and roll my tobacco into cigars and create my own little version of heaven on earth.. Stir up a little of Wild Bills barbeque and eat, drink, and be merry.. I'd be happy to just be able to tell the tax man to kiss my ass for a change..
Back in the early '60s, when I was about 6 years old, me and my family moved further out in the country. We had a neighbor that was old as the hills.. Emmit was an old Indian fur trapper that had long retired.. In the evenings after I had fed and watered the horses, chickens, dogs and cows, I would go over to sit on the front porch with Emmit and he would tell me stories.. He never got in a hurry to do much of anything.. It would take ol Emmit forever to get out his pouch of Bull Durham and roll him a smoke while tellin me a story.. I dont know what fascinated me more, him rollin that smoke or the story.. I get a pouch of tobacco and roll my own sometimes and it takes me back to those days.. Emmit was a sweet old man.. I just wonder if he thinks of me sometimes.. He gave me one of his traps he still kept hangin on the side of his shed, out back of his house.. I still have it after all these years..

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home